The recent probe of Ibrahim Lamorde, the chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on the allegation of diverting trillions of naira into his personal purse is gradually culminating into high level of open ups among government officials.

Lamorde
The Senate committee on ethics, privileges and public petitions had launched the investigation yesterday, August 26, when it took evidence from George Uboh, the petitioner who is said to be on trial for alleged fraud.
Senators are said to be restless and divided by the probe which led to the committee chairman, Samuel Anyanwu to walk the EFCC’s legal director, Lamorde’s counsel, Chile Okoroma out of the meeting.
READ ALSO: Senate To Probe EFCC Chairman For Diverting Billions
Obuh had said on Channels television on Thursday, August 27, that Over 95% of EFCC offshore seizures never make it to Nigeria.
He insisted that the documents submitted were being prepared during Lamorde’s watch, adding that the total recoveries by the EFCC is N2.051 trillion. He asked how come over N2 trillion could not be accounted for.
On its part however, the Peoples Democratic Party senate caucus dissociated itself from the probe and said that it was not aware of any petition against the EFCC.
The latest development is that the Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase has written to the EFCC indicating his plan to recall all police officers who have so far served in the commission for five years.
Furthermore, with the issue of EFCC probe rocking the air, the erstwhile governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi has also been included on the list of former governors who are now under the agency’s watch.
Meanwhile, the senate had on Tuesday, August 25, assured that the probe of the EFCC chairman will still take place as planned despite recent controversy from some PDP senators on the proposed probe.
To this end, Nigerians took to social media to make their stance known.
A bit of sanity has returned. Agencies like the EFCC which was asleep in the last 5 years have woken up. #PMB100Days
— Dipo Awojide (@OgbeniDipo) August 27, 2015
@Omojuwa Good move: anyother person/ persons or group that have anything against any other APC stalwart should petition EFCC. PMB is working
— Baba Abbey (@TAIWOISAACABIOD) August 27, 2015
With Colonel Ali as EFCC head, NOBODY and I mean nobody who stole is safe. Not even his own mother, if found culpable.
— The Godfather (@Ayourb) August 26, 2015
Won’t it be something if the EFCC chairman goes to jail for relooting, sorry, rerouting N1tn loot recovered from corrupt politicians?
— Dr. Njakiri Damages (@DrDamages) August 25, 2015
Many Nigerians will start taking President Buhari’s “anti-corruption” seriously when the likes of Fashola are subjected to EFCC/ICPC probe.
— Ohimai Godwin Amaize (@MrFixNigeria) August 24, 2015
If there is a genuine need to try the EFCC Chairman, then he should step down. He can’t carry out his duties while facing trials himself.
— JJ. Omojuwa (@Omojuwa) August 25, 2015
With Colonel Ali as EFCC head, NOBODY and I mean nobody who stole is safe. Not even his own mother, if found culpable.
— The Godfather (@Ayourb) August 26, 2015
My bet still stands, if under PMB, EFCC convicts a former Minister or Governor for corruption, $1000 to a CHARITY or anyone who places same.
— Nnamdi Anekwe-Chive (@nnamdianekwe) August 26, 2015
A President serious in fighting corruption will 1. Declare his Assets publicly 2. Shake up EFCC/ICPC 3. Start trial from his party men.
— Ebube 5% (@akaebube) August 26, 2015
The post Spotlight On EFCC Probe: Nigerians Speak appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.
No comments:
Post a Comment